Houston Car Accident Injury Lawyers
Have you been injured in a car accident in Houston or elsewhere in Texas? Do you know your rights or how to recover your damages? An insurance adjuster may answer your questions. However, the adjuster works for the insurance company and needs to protect the company’s interests and lessen its exposure. The adjuster does not work for you.
It is important to have an experienced car accident lawyer working for you from the moment you begin dealing with the insurance company — especially before you give a statement to an insurance adjuster. We always give a free consultation in auto accident cases. Contact our car accident lawyers now.
Car Accident Statistics
Driving on busy highways requires care and attention. This is especially true in Houston where during rush hour you can expect high volumes of traffic and delays on I-10, US 59, I-45 and the toll-ways. Car accidents can result from drivers who are distracted by talking on cell phones or texting and drivers who speed and are aggressive or reckless.
According to 2013 Texas Department of Transportation statistics, there were 65,539 serious car accidents with 89,270 people having sustained serious injuries. Many of these accidents occurred in the Houston area.
Drivers and passengers who do not use a seat belt or are not properly restrained are much more likely to suffer fatal injuries. 44.7% of people killed in car accidents in 2013 where not properly restrained.
Causes of Car Accidents
Car wrecks can happen for many reasons. We handle all types of car wrecks resulting from:
- Driving While Intoxicated (DWI) or Driving Under the Influence (DUI) Mothers Against Drunk Driving (MADD) has reported that since 1980, there has been significant drop in the number of people killed annually as a result of a drunk driver. Even with the awareness MADD has brought to the issue, drivers continue to risk their lives and the lives of others when they get behind the wheel after drinking. Harris County in Houston lead all counties in Texas in 2013 with 149 fatal crashes and 158 fatalities as a result of drunk drivers.
- Distracted Driving talking on cell phones or texting while driving continues to be a leading cause of car accidents in Houston. In just a few seconds drivers who are distracted can easily veer off the side of the road causing a single vehicle accident or drift into another lane and cause a crash involving a number of cars and trucks.
- Aggressive Driving the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA) defines aggressive driving as “an individual who commits a combination of moving traffic offenses so as to endanger other persons or property”. Aggressive driving can take the form of speeding, running red lights, tailgating and general disregard for the rules of the road. The leading causes of car accidents from aggressive driving in Texas are speeding and failure to control speed. Other leading causes of car accidents are following too closely, changing lanes when it is unsafe or failure to pass safely.
- Running Red Lights and other traffic signal violations
- Impairment such as drunk driving or drug abuse
- Head On Collisions
Whatever the cause, the basic elements of a car accident are similar to any negligence claim. Your personal injury attorney must prove that someone acted in a negligent manner causing recoverable damages in order to win your case.
Our law firm represents clients who have suffered serious personal injuries resulting from an auto accident, such as:
- Spinal cord injuries
- Traumatic brain injuries
- Head, neck or back injuries
- Joint injuries
- Broken arms
At Michael P. Fleming & Associates, P.C., we are strong advocates for injured clients’ rights. We will help you recover the full financial damages you deserve for your serious injuries in order to compensate you for surgery, time away from work, extended treatment, and pain and suffering.
When Someone Other Than The Driver Is At Fault…
In some cases, a claim for personal injury from an auto accident may also be brought against individuals other than the negligent driver. If the driver was working for another company or individual, then the employer may be responsible for the driver’s negligence and the resulting damages. Furthermore, even if not working, the owner of the vehicle may be liable for the negligence of the driver.
This is known as liability for negligent entrustment. Under this cause of action, the owner of a vehicle who allows another to operate it can be held liable for his or her negligent driving. Car owners may be liable if they negligently entrusted the vehicle to somebody they knew, or should have known, to be a reckless, incompetent or unlicensed driver.
Your Advocates Before The Insurance Company And In The Courtroom
Can you collect compensation for a bicycle accident or pedestrian accident even if you were not in the designated safe areas? Are you entitled to workers’ compensation if injured in a car wreck at work?
At Michael P. Fleming & Associates, P.C., you will talk to Houston personal injury attorneys who are focused on your best interests. They will answer any personal injury questions you have honestly and in a way that you can understand.
Our founder, attorney Fleming, has a reputation for effective courtroom skills. He has been recognized as a top attorney in Texas Super Lawyers list for many years, and is one of the very few attorneys to have argued and won a case before the Supreme Court of the United States. He has effectively led our law firm, helping us win an AV Preeminent rating* by Martindale-Hubbell’s peer review rating system.
What To Do After A Car Wreck
- Take care of your injuries your first need after an auto accident is to get medical treatment. Some people injured in an automobile accident put off going to the doctor or emergency room. Unfortunately, a delay in seeking medical attention for a car accident injury can be used against you by the insurance company. The faster you seek medical help, the sooner you may be able to heal from your injuries.
- Talk to a car crash attorney, not an insurance company insurance company representatives often contact victims soon after their car accident to obtain a recorded statement. When you are recovering from an injury, you are not in the best condition to answer an insurance company’s detailed questions. Report the accident, and see your doctor, but then talk to a personal injury lawyer immediately.
- Act quickly there is a statute of limitations in Texas of two years. When you are the victim of a serious car accident, the insurance company will be working hard to collect facts and evidence to bolster a defense to your claim and minimize your damages. It is crucial that you contact experienced car accident lawyers soon so that accident evidence and witness accounts will still be fresh.